Step back in time to the Victorian era as you meet your 78th Highlander host and walk through the granite entrance of one of Canada’s last stone bastion forts. Learn about the fascinating history of Halifax, its defenses, and the lives of the soldiers who lived here.
Image Copyright Parks Canada/Acorn Art & Photography
Please note that these programs are available exclusively for cruise ship passengers. Please book through your cruise ship’s shore excursion desk.
'Take the Queen’s shilling’ as you explore the fort’s parade square, ramparts, and fortified rooms with your guide. Take part in a series of hands-on activities and learn about the daily life of a mid-Victorian British army soldier. This experience is hosted by a uniformed 78th Highlander and includes:
- A reproduction Victorian-era shilling coin
- A guided tour of the iconic Halifax Citadel
- Interactive, hands-on activities including a marching drill lesson, music lesson, and artillery drill instruction
- Light refreshments including tea, coffee, and pastries
- Free time to explore the Halifax Citadel at your leisure
Spirits & Spirits
Explore one of Canada’s most haunted historic sites as your guide leads you through shadowy passageways and underground fortified casemates by candlelight. Then, relax in the historic Soldiers’ Library and enjoy a guided tasting of three special spirits crafted by Compass Distillers and aged inside the Halifax Citadel – Noon Gun Gin, Daily Ration Rum, and Granite & Grain Whisky. This experience lasts for two hours and includes:
- A ghost tour of the Halifax Citadel led by a 78th Highlander
- A guided tasting of three Citadel Distilled spirits paired with delicious charcuterie